Unfiled Tax Returns

Rumor has it that the IRS assumes a taxpayer has died when he or she stops filing income tax returns. If the taxpayer has received income in subsequent years, and the paying entities have filed information returns like Forms 1096, 1099, W-2, and W-3 reporting payments to the taxpayer, though, the IRS will eventually realize that the taxpayer has not died, and is simply not filing income tax returns. In that case, IRC section 6020(b) authorizes the IRS to file tax returns on behalf of the taxpayer—allowing none of the deductions to which the taxpayer may be entitled—assess the tax, and begin collection action through bank account and wage levies.

It is important to be proactive with filing tax returns for at least a few reasons. First, the 3-year Statute of Limitations for tax return audits does not apply unless the taxpayer files the tax return. In other words, the IRS can conceivably assess tax against you 20 years from now if you don’t file a tax return this year. If you file the tax return, the IRS can audit you (with a few exceptions) no later than 3 years from now. Second, you cannot discharge income tax debts in Bankruptcy Court unless you file a tax return for that year. Third, the IRS will not establish an installment agreement to pay the tax unless all tax returns have been filed.

David A. Sprecace has more than 23 years of experience helping serial non-filers prepare and file their tax returns, establish an installment agreement with the IRS, and file an Offer in Compromise with the IRS. Call 303-454-8260 or email Dave at Dave@MyTaxLex.com to set up a phone consultation.


Colorado Office
600 17th St #2800s

Denver, CO 80202

Client Reviews

Dave has ridden to our rescue on many occasions. It’s not that I try to get in trouble but Dave is always there to bail me out. Dave went toe-to-toe with the IRS over a several year legal battle. Nothing like having a...

- Russell and Lisa P.

My business partner and I hired Dave to represent us with an IRS tax audit of our company and individual tax returns. There were other family members and other businesses involved, and the IRS initially wanted more than...

- Mark M.

I called Dave to help me file several years of income tax returns. After the returns were filed, Dave filed an Offer in Compromise to get rid of the old taxes. The IRS accepted a small fraction of the original amount...

- Mike W.

When I needed to buy out my business partner, Dave told me of the possible pitfalls with the Operating Agreement, walked me through the entire process, helped me value the company, and make an offer. I was able to keep...

- Yvonne A.

Contact Us

Fill out the contact form or call us at (303) 454-8260 to schedule your consultation.

Leave Us a Message